Give the filters a round in the dishwasher and get better air in the kitchen and a safer home.
Whatever food you make on the stove at home in the kitchen, you create matos. Steam and grease rise from the frying pan and pots, but hopefully sucked up by the fan you have mounted over the stove.
There are many tips for getting rid of food, but a modern fan is probably the most effective. However, it does not apply if it is clogged with old fat. Dense fans are also harmful to the indoor climate and, not least, flammable.
Manufacturers recommend that you wash the filters as often as once a month. The child welfare committee believes it must be done every three months. No matter how often you do, it’s quick and easy to get a clean fan and fresher air in your home.
Wash the dishes in the dishwasher
All fans have grease filters, they are most often visible and are what you see on the underside of the fan.
Always remove the fuse or unplug the fan before starting to loosen the filters. On most recent fans it is easy to remove the filter or filters, look for a button, handle or the like. Press the button and remove the filters.
Most filters can be placed in the dishwasher and washed on a normal wash program.
If you have a small dishwasher or want to wash them by hand, you can of course. Wash the filters in soap and water and blame well. Many recommend a mixture of Zalo and salmi lacquer because it is well suited to dissolve fat.
Make sure the filters are dried well and that they cover the entire suction surface of the ventilator before reinstalling them..
– Wash each month
– Ikea recommends that the grease filters be washed every month to give the fan the best possible results. All fat filters sold on Ikea can be washed in the dishwasher, says communications adviser Siv Elizabeth Egger to click. no.
Some fans have exhaust pipes that send the air out of the house. But in many block apartments and townhouses you do not have this opportunity. Then you can have a kitchen fan with charcoal filter. In such fans, air and matos from the stove are pulled into the fan and sent through the charcoal filter before cleaned air is returned to the kitchen.
Egger says that most fans can be used either with exhaust or with carbon filters. If you do not have an extract and fan out, you have a charcoal filter.
Some types of charcoal filter can be washed in the dishwasher, while others need to be replaced 1-2 times a year.
– This depends on the type of fan you have and what kind of carbon filter it is. How often it should be exchanged or washed will also depend on how often you cook in the kitchen and what food is being cooked, says Egger.
– Much fat increases fire hazard
Kitchen expert Fredrik Tønnesen at Elkjøp emphasizes that you should always read the instructions for his fan. Here it will be explained how to disassemble the parts and what kind of washing the filters can withstand.
– But generally speaking, most fat filters can now be washed in a dishwasher. They should be washed every month. And it’s important to keep in mind that if it accumulates a lot of fat in the filter it can increase the fire hazard, says Tønnesen to click. no.
He recommends replacing coal filters approximately once a year. Coal filters are found in fans that do not have the possibility of venting out of the house and are common in blocks and townhouses.
– The fan itself can be washed with a damp cloth in soapy water while steel cleaners can be used on steel surfaces. If you have a glass plate, you can use a medium intended for glass / windows, says Tønnesen.
Fat is flammable
It’s not just because of the hygiene you should wash the filter in the fan. A dense fan is also more flammable, says the Norwegian Fire Protection Association.
A survey conducted by TNS Gallup for the Norwegian Fire Protection Association, the Directorate for Civil Protection and Emergency Planning (DSB) and If Skadeforsikring in connection with Fire Protection in the autumn of 2013, shows that one in four has not cleaned the cooker hood over the combustible fired boiler during the past year.
– This scares us, “says Morten Thorsrud, Executive Vice President of If Skadeforsikring.
– Over time, large amounts of flammable fats accumulate in the fan. This grease can help a fire quickly spread to the exhaust duct and kitchen interior. One does not only achieve a hygienic gain by regularly cleaning the ventilator, for example once a quarter – it is also a simple and important fire protection measure, “says Thorsrud..
If the fan is not cleaned, you risk that fat drops on the stove when using it. And fat burns very well, a drop down on a hot hotplate can quickly catch fire.
For allergy sufferers or people suffering from asthma it is especially important to clean the filter in the kitchen fan regularly. Matos and steam from cooking can cause many ailments, and Norway’s Asthma and Allergy Association recommends to clean the fan frequently so that it is most effective.
How to get rid of food in the kitchen
What does the color of the wires mean?
One bag soup is clearly best