It costs to clean the bathroom. The experts give you tips that can keep the price down and make the renovation easier.
Good planning is important when brushing the bathroom. Doing it wrong can cost you a lot.
– Many of the water damage registered in Norway is due to poorly performed work or the use of bad materials. The construction industry’s wet norm provides technical guidelines for how materials and products are to be approved and the way in which the work is to be carried out, says the marketing director at the FFV, Katrine L. Johansen.
She adds that using the wet norm is voluntary, but that contracting the standard for rehabilitation of baths can give benefits of any sales and ensure that the bathroom becomes functional and new.
– All work involving electricity and water must be carried out by certified craftsmen. If you are employed, you can do all other work on your own, but you will be responsible for any damage, “said information officer at the Information Office for Color and Interior (Ifi), Chera Westman.
She points out the importance of drawing a proper contract for the purchase of craft services, to avoid costly misunderstandings and arguing.
– Enter the price of more, check references and signs so contract, says Westman.
Wallpaper, paint, vinyl or tiles?
Head of FFV, Bjørn Grimsrud, says there are several good solutions for coating in the bathroom when to cook up.
A craft contract should contain the following:
Agreements preferably fixed price on the assignment, including materials. The stated price must be with VAT.
If otherwise not agreed, the main rule is that it will be paid when the work is done. However, it is possible to enter into an advance payment and payment agreement, but this must be clear from the contract.
3. Progress and completion of work
Agreement a specific date for starting and completion of the work. A plan for progress should also be agreed upon in case of more extensive missions.
4. Job Description / Delivery Description
The contract should also contain a description of the work to be performed and the desired result.
5. Material Selection
The contract should specify the materials to be used for the assignment and the prices for these.
The Consumer Council recommends that the contract contains a clause on delays in delays that is the responsibility of the craftsman.
7. HSE responsibility
It should never be agreed that the consumer is responsible for HSE – this is a responsibility that the professional manages best and integrates into the offer.
8. Changed assumptions
Additional work and changes that the contractor submits after the contract has been entered into must be entered into the contract or a separate contract will be established for the additions.
Source: Consumer Council. no / Ifi. no
– Tiles are a very durable surface material. Large selection in shape and color. The challenge here is the joints that become discolored and which can give rise to fungus. Therefore, joints must be maintained, which may be more labor-intensive than for flat surfaces, he writes in an e-mail.
– However, new products are constantly being developed that facilitate this maintenance as well. Tiled surfaces are not waterproof. There must be waterproof diaphragm behind. However, it is usually very long durability on tiled surfaces, he adds.
As for the use of wet paint on plasterboard, Grimsrud claims that they have great color choice, but they are less durable than tiles, among other things, they are less robust in terms of stroke damage.. However, the painted plates are easier to renew and they provide waterproof surfaces. They are also easy to keep clean.
Vinyl surfaces are also waterproof and easy to keep clean.
– Vinyler is robust and gives a relatively smooth surface, depending on the structure and patterns you choose. Vinyl has long durability and in recent years a wide range of colors and patterns has emerged, Grimsrud emphasizes and emphasizes that for all products that are important for the function of the wet room, durability and density, documentation is required that the product is suitable for the purpose and satisfies regulatory requirements.
Westman adds that many people think vinyl is the safest alternative to avoid moisture and water damage because it’s waterproof.
– And extra sealing in the form of membranes is therefore not necessary, she says.
Approved wetroom products
Head of the Water Damage Office at SINTEF Building Research, Lars-Erik Fiskum, argues that one should only buy wet room membranes with proven properties.
– Many products come with CE marking only. These may be good enough, but you have no guarantee, he says.
SINTEF approves wetroom products for Norwegian conditions, while on the pages of FFV there is an overview of recommended products.
Of the coating products mentioned above, according Fiskum only tiles that relies on a membrane behind.
– Both vinyl and wet paint are both membrane and finished surface in one and the same product. The same goes for the so-called bathroom panel, he says.
Five Refurbishment Tips
Westman has five tips for you to clean the bathroom to ensure a simpler and less expensive refurbishment process..
Dry and wet zones: In wet rooms, it is distinguished between dry and wet zones. Areas that are 100 centimeters from the shower, 50 centimeters from the toilet, sink and bathtub, and 10 centimeters from the floor are considered wet zones.
– The remaining flats are considered dry zones and you can, in principle, choose products like normal dry rooms, says Westman.
Fade staining: Cement joints between the tiles can over time be discolored by fungus, mildew and dirt, so that the tiles should be regularly impregnated with moisture impregnation. The soft silicone joints in corners, ceilings and floors should be washed regularly with chlorine to prevent stains and dirt.
Glue and tape: The information consultant advises you to use glue or tape rather than screws when installing equipment in the bathroom.
– Then you avoid making holes in the diaphragm and get a moisture proof wall. An ever-present hole in the membrane is a veritable highway into the wall of microscopic vapor and moisture. All perforation of the moisture barrier should be avoided, but you should still drill through the tiles and diaphragm, so be sure to seal with silicone before inserting the screw, “says Westman..
Tiles on tiles: If the membranes are ok and the old tiles are firmly attached, new tiles can be placed on top of the old ones, according to Westman.
– You may need to use an elevation ring between old shutdown and new deadlock, but this can be a plumber to assist you. Wash the tiles well with coarse or laundering to remove grease and soap residues. After drying, apply a lubricant to the floor and in the shower zone, even though you know that there is a membrane under the old tiles. This prevents water absorption from old joints, “she says.
Template old tiles: Westman says that most types of surfaces can be recoated, if it is well cleaned.
– Old tiles in the bathroom can be nicely given a new look when using paint. The paint will last for a few years in anticipation of a major rehabilitation, she says.