Also, the laptop needs sleep, but not just because you save power.
Turn off your pc at night or leave it on?
It may be tempting to just let it stand on, besides doing things about night that are worth bringing.
Windows is usually updated, it is cleared in the index database and the computer is being defragmented. In addition, the machine takes a long time to turn on.
Also read: Here’s the movie’s answer to Spotify
– Okay to turn off
However, there is no technical reason why the pc should definitely be around the clock, experts say:
– Updates from Windows do not miss, even if your PC is off. They are nevertheless started as soon as the PC is turned on, “states Ole Tom Seierstad, VP of Security in Microsoft Norway..
– If you do not need to turn it on, turn it off, “says Jarle Bjørn Hansen, Product Manager in Fujitsu, to Click. no.
There are, however, several good reasons why the machines should go on a spare fire at night. Power consumption is just one of them.
Also read: How to navigate smoothly
Notorious power consumption
Power consumption in a computer is difficult to accurately calculate. It depends on how many applications are active, how advanced graphics are in use and how many components are in use.
Additionally, the screen also drains power, and it draws more power if you play games, for example.
There are numerous calculations of how much power a PC is using. An average laptop uses around 50 W, while a desktop PC uses about 120 W, according to the US Department of Energy, which has this rule of thumb for power and computers:
- Turn off the monitor if you are not going to use your PC for at least 20 minutes
- Turn off the processor and monitor if you are not going to use the PC for at least 2 hours
The amount of power the monitor uses varies (check this overview from Cnet). 40 W / hour is a good estimate. But a modern display uses very little power in standby mode, and hardly makes a big deal in the power budget unless you sit all day in front of your PC.
Also read: Spotlessly clean
Important energy saving
But most interesting is what you can do with power consumption when the PC is not in use.
According to US estimates, as much as 40 percent of the energy consumption from electronic devices happens when the devices are not in use.
So, even if the savings for you personally might be turning off some light at night, society is saving too much undesirable energy consumption if you make an effort to save power.
It’s very easy to contribute, because power saving is significant if you use one of the power saving features on your PC.
– In hibernation mode, the PC usually uses 0.5 to 3-4 watts, “says Jarle Bjørn Hansen, Product Manager in Fujitsu, which is in line with the US calculation under.
Blogs techsoup. org has estimated average values for how much power a pc is using. It has its own values for so-called Energy Star products.
Energy Star is an industry standard in the computer industry with specific requirements for power saving systems.
Power Consumption in Watts
Energy Star products:
Set the family desktop PC around the clock, but only used in the evening and afternoon, since mom, dad and child are at work and school. Actually, it is only used between k. 16 and at. 23.
If so, it remains unused for 17 of the 24 hours, but uses 1050 W during this time – or 1,050 kilowatt hours (kWh). In the course of a year, it will be 383,250 kWh. In sleep mode, power consumption is 24.8 Kwh per year.
With a starting point of kr. 0.35 per KWh, you save $ 116 a year.
Dust and fire
It’s not big money, but please do the same for all the electronics you can not turn off.
But there are other arguments to let the PC sleep.
Desktops are full of components that dare and go, and these are magnets for hybrid rabbits. Dust, dirt and hot electronics can be a bad combination:
– A desktop PC is usually on the floor and attracts a lot of dust when it’s on. There is nothing special about fire safety, “says Jarle Bjørn Hansen.
Also read: These machines make the best espresso
Virus and Tear
The heat development of a PC also struggles with the electronics. In particular, laptops are vulnerable to heat generation, because there is less space for the fan.
This can go beyond several of the components in the machine, like motherboards. processor, memory and video card.
– I had to replace the motherboard after I forgot to turn the PC off completely before a trip, says Ole Tom Seierstad in Microsoft.
You’re also better protected from viruses and other data attacks when your PC is turned off. Because when you’re not online, it’s hard to attack you.
Sleep and sleep
Probably, the best solution, anyway, is not to turn your pc off, whether to use it again the day after.
Modern PCs have more forms of hibernation, these are the two common:
- Hibernation, and so called “Save to disk”. In hibernation mode, a copy of everything in memory is taken – what you have on your PC and then. This is written to an area on the hard drive. When you then turn on the computer, you start up exactly where you left off. The machine consumes very low power in hibernation mode.
- Sleep, also called “Save to RAM”. In sleep mode, the programs are kept in memory while the processor and the hard drive are completely unchecked. Everything is preserved in a memory area that is powered by (low) power.
Turning on the computer from sleep mode happens in a flash, from hibernate mode, it takes a little more time, but it goes much faster than starting up the computer completely when it’s completely off. In addition, it requires a lot more power to start the machine cold.
A computer has oversized power supply at the output point to account for intense use, “explains Jarle Bjørn Hansen..
– A laptop may have a power of 80 W, while in active use it never draws so much power. This is because it will take off heat, “says Hansen.
In other words, you have a little to go on. It is therefore very rare that components in a PC get worn out just because the PC is on, experts say.
Jarle Bjørn Hansen nevertheless recommends to check the power saving capabilities of the PC as they vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.
There are many options for automating hibernation / sleep mode, and some manufacturers enter this as a factory default setting..
Also read: Unbound guests in the Christmas tree