Hit your phone and call your insurance company.
Aside from fire, water is what can damage a home the most. Those who have experienced it can tell of a nightmare. Once the water damage has occurred, it is about taking grip as soon as possible. Because if the water is allowed to settle in walls and floors more than a small week, it may start to form mold.
– And then you may risk tearing the walls and breaking up the floor, says Sousjef Damage Prevention in Gjensidige, Oddvar Stensrød, to click. no.
– Call the insurance company and start damage limitation
The moment you experience a water damage, either as a result of flooding or cracked water pipes inside, the council of Stensrød is to contact the insurance company as soon as possible.
– They have systems and networks of harm prevention companies that you can quickly get help from, because it’s about getting the water away as quickly as possible.
– When we get phones from homeowners in such cases, we always say that you should start right away and clean up and limit further damage, “says Ole Irgens, Communications Manager at Clicks.. no.
– If you have had an injury, do not sit and wait but just start working on what you can contribute. Wipe up water, close windows and doors and air out to get out of moisture. And if you are careful about registering the work you do, you will usually get paid for it through your insurance company.
– A lot can be saved by fast action
If you fall down here you may not be insured
However, even if you take care and do your own remediation work, according to Oddvar Stensrød, you should get a damages company as soon as possible after the water has been removed.
– The sooner the remediation begins, the more can be saved, he expands.
In this context, Mycoteam is clear that it’s not just about getting drillers.
“It gives a false security because this only gives a surface drying up. Often it is considerably more complicated to get a dry-out of wet structures, such as partitioning walls, sloping basement walls and trays. When such structures are wet of flood water, they should be opened, wet insulation removed, clean and start drying wood, brick and concrete. By rapid detection, water can be prevented from drawing particularly far into such materials, “they emphasize.
Duty to limit damage
Irrels believe flooding is most predictable, because you usually get a warning about what is waiting.
More information about water damage
In the brochure Important to know about basement fluctuations, there is a clear description of what to do about water intrusion in the basement.
Amongst four types of floods are distinguished:
- Water penetrates the drainage system.
- Water penetrates through the basement wall and basement floor.
- Water penetrates through openings in the structure (windows, valves, etc.).
- Water flows from leaky water installation.
In the brochure Nature Damage and Compensation, it is described in detail which damages are applicable to natural damage. The starting point is that everything that is insured against fire damage is also insured against natural damage.
– Mostly, there are cellar spaces that are being filled, and then you should make sure to remove anything that could be damaged. Either remove it physically from the basement or place it high on the wall if possible.
He also draws attention to the removal of carpets and floor coverings, if possible.
– The point is to limit the damage as well as you can and there is also a duty to do.
A rock on the drain
In a flood the challenge is water that penetrates, both through the foundation wall and the drainage system. Generally, there is not much to do to limit the water to flood in, but one advice from Oddvar Stensrød is to cover the extinguishes in the cellar’s floor.
What you can do is put a cloth on the goose and then a heavy object on top. It may have a certain limiting effect.
According to Stensrød, in cases where the water flows out over the floor and stands up on the wall, the fuses.
And according to operations development manager at Polygon, Sindre Ulvestad, the risk of electrical damage is greater if the power is on when water comes.
– Therefore, you should shut down the electricity as fast as you can, he says to click. no. – Generally speaking, it is possible to save most of electrical items, but it will be a cost question. Cheap consumer electronics will only be thrown while expensive quality products will be tried rescued.
Ulvestad emphasizes that NOT to check for electrical products after a water damage.
– It must be left to professionals.
Let professionals take care of the entire job
Beyond making a provisional and immediate redevelopment and prevention, advises Mycoteam not to do some of the repair work yourself.
“Mycoteam warns homeowners against accepting cash settlement from the insurance company as soon as a valuation officer has been on the spot”, they write on their web pages, and Odd Ivar Holth in Mycoteam’s Molecular Engineering Survey extends this.
Here’s a really good job
If you do so, you are responsible for correcting the damage. You can not come back and say you got a mold. Thus, the cost to you as homeowner can be much greater if the improvement is not good enough, he reports to the webpages.
Signs of moisture damage and mildew
In its brochure “Preventing and correcting moisture damage in the home”, the Directorate of Health describes what signs to look for in order to detect water damage and mildew. Their advice is to check their accommodation annually, and often more frequent inspection at exposed places.
Signs that it’s about to mold mold is discoloration and swarming on the wall and ceiling. Mildew can also be a clear sign. “Insects (especially silvery) can also be an indication of moisture damage”, they write the brochure.
In case of flood damage, where large amounts of water have penetrated the housing, the improvements will probably be extensive. Mycoteam describes the following procedure for securing values and resilient housing:
- Steady action (remove free water, vent / dehumidify, move out of work and loose objects)
- Initial injury assessment
- Uncovering and Opening Structures
- Independent control and documentation
– It is usually insurance companies that charge us and similar companies for major water damage, “says Ulvestad..
– And what is generally going to be done is an assessment of the damage site. Items that it pays to repair will be taken for cleaning, drying and repairs, while unsecured items will be discarded..
Burns here just watering
– Do not throw damaged objects
If water damage has been caused to one or more objects, it is important that these remain standing and not thrown out because they are considered useless.
For example, if you have water damage in a washing machine, it is not just to run it at the waste facility, because it is important that the valuer get it assessed for damage, says Irgens.
He also advises to document and document any damage identified, so that the coming claims settlement is made as easy as possible.
Sindre Ulvestad emphasizes the need to secure important documents that have been water-damaged.
– Do not let documents, photo albums and the like stay in a wet lump. Make sure to get them dried.
A crane that’s gonna fix you in minutes
As easy as possible, you can avoid damage to your holiday home
Insurance companies’ horror images
Looking for good interior ideas? You can find them in the Inspiration Guide