The tiles have she made herself and the kitchen furniture is home-made. See Lillann Svendsruds personal and unique kitchen.
On the farm Nordre Sørsdal, ceramist Lillann Svendsrud has everything she needs – her own studio on the barn and plenty of space for an active lifestyle with horses, dogs and cats. In addition, she has got a very personal kitchen with plenty of space and views to Lier’s landscape.
Although, last was no matter when Lillan bought the farm in 2008.
When Lillann saw the kitchen, she immediately realized something had to be done .
The kitchen was from the 1960s, with respatex plates and giant green kitchen décor. But worst of all – the decor split up the room, so the view was partially blocked.
– I would open up the room. The main focus was to get the landscape, explains Lillan, referring to the beautiful, rolling landscape outside.
Started with blank sheets
The old kitchen decor was thrown out, and Lillan started with blank sheets.
The first she acquired was the magnificent cupboard from 1822. It was bought at auction at Lena, and ate up almost the entire kitchen budget.
– Just then I had sold some of my work and had some money. And as all the artists do when they have money, I did something ellevilt, to make sure it’s going to be fun here in life, she says with a laugh.
But it meant that she had no money left for the rest of the kitchen decor.
– I wondered what to do when the obvious solution struck me. I am a potter, so the logical answer was to make the tiles over the kitchen counter and under the stove itself.
Mosaic of broken tiles
As intended, then done. Lillann made a very personal mosaic of tiles, a blend of patterns typical of her: flowers, roses, birds, animal patterns, quotes and words.
Useful Lillann also caressed the kitchen interior itself.
– I had some shelves left after renovating the second floor. I used these for kitchen cabinets. On many of the shelves there were left old tapestries that I think are incredibly beautiful. They gave a unique patina to the tables. I wanted to keep the wallpaper so I laid on an extra coat of paint to keep them.
The kitchen interior also consists of some original cabinet doors. One bought Lillann in Morocco. A couple of doors from a broken closet were also useful.
– They come from a cupboard that I brought with me from home, and that was in very bad condition. But the closet doors were fine, so I found out I could use these, “explains Lillann.
Reason for reuse
With Ikea’s laundry and fittings, she has managed to create a kitchen with character without the cost of shirt. For Lillann, it was a natural choice, she had, in fact, been reborn with breast milk.
– I’ve always had a heart for old things – it has been a part of the upbringing. My mother ran shopping, and reuse has in many ways been a part of my aesthetic upbringing. I have been taught to look beautiful in old objects, she explains.
How to get the style
For those who want a unique kitchen on a low budget, Lillann has the following advice:
– Think old instead of new. Go to auctions. There you will find unique old furniture. I also recommend looking for finn. no, you will find everything from planks and roof tiles to furnishings. Buy tile tiles at the tile shop and make your own personal mosaic over the kitchen counter.
Bear and the wife gave keys to the kitchen vendor and went on vacation.
Remodeling: The Ten Worst Kitchen Labs
How to choose a dishwasher
Ti cool kitchen to be inspired