Helene and Vegard wanted city life and garden. A refurbishment object at Rodeløkka in Oslo was the start of the adventure.
See how this went
Helene and Vegard had searched for a suitable refurbishment that they could renovate for a long time but they had almost left the dream about once to get an idyllic house in town when a friend of Helene came across an exciting renovation project on idyllic Rodeløkka in Oslo.
The two friends had already talked that they had the same dreams of becoming homeowners even though they lived in the city. They had a plan that if they found a house that could be divided into a two-person residence, they could manage it economically. This would later prove to be a reality, and in autumn 2011 it was a coinage to win the betting round at the charming wooden house in the middle of Rodeløkka.
Purchased two-person residence with the girlfriend
They win betting rounds for dream homes. Now just fold up your sleeves and start the renovation project.
The two couples agreed on each floor, and Helene and Vegard were delighted to be owners of the second floor. They wanted to get up in height to get more light.
It was important for them to keep what was and care of original details – and they tore almost everything that was of walls and changed the layout so that they could create a family room with lights from several edges.
– There was the light and the windows I first fell on the second floor when I saw the house. By changing the layout, I saw the potential that it could be a nice and practical family room that would be the core of the apartment and the family. That is where we all like to be, and this is where everything happens. Helene laughs when she eagerly tells about the refurbishment phase.
– I am very pleased with all the help we received from our fathers. They have been responsible for most of the renovation work, all except the electrical. We are not superhandy, but we have done a lot of paintwork ourselves. The entire renovation work was a collaborative project.
Some surprises were nevertheless greater than others when the couple during the refurbishment phase found out that Helene was not only pregnant but also that there were twins to come. This led them to get it busier than they had imagined, they had to speed up the renovation so that the apartment was ready for the twins to come.
– I still like many of the choices we’ve taken with floor plan and materials, but hurrying in a refurbishment phase is something I do not recommend, says Helene.
The challenge was to find practical solutions that were both functional and stylistic within what they wanted.
– To build a practical kitchen without cabinets and with little wall space was difficult, but we eventually managed to solve it both silently and functionally.
Inspiration brings both Helene and Vegard to concerts, traveling on short or long trips, people, colors and movies. But also in everyday life.
– I get a lot of inspiration in magazines, online and in art, says Helene.
She is very grateful to live on cozy Rodeløkka.
Everything does not have to be perfect
– Of course, there are many who want to move out of town when they get parents and have children, but we are very happy in urban urban life too. Therefore, we are very fortunate to have both garden and house, but also Grünerløkka city life just five minutes walk from home, she says.
– It is important to us that the apartment is a harmonious and relaxed home, and even with little space and two young children, I think the philosophy is that one should not stress the way things are going to be perfect. Let things flow a bit even if one gets guests. The most important thing is that people should feel at home and that they are always welcome. This apartment is the first to have known a sincere belonging in. This is where we belong, “says Helene.
Check prices for these
How to get a cottage on the terrace
Doing this, you’ll never have to clear
The furniture tables everyone makes
Plants in the bathroom give health effect
The dream material the carpenter hates