Kitchen knives should be treated as if they were fine porcelain.
The kitchen is one of the most used rooms in the home, and the tools you surround yourself with are important to you. You know for sure that the knife you just used to cut chicken with should not be used for onion hake until you have washed it.
But what do you do when you’re done with the blades? Adds them to the dishwasher? And what do you do when the blades start to be dull?
Several factors are important for how good your kitchen knives are over time, and washing them is actually more important than you can imagine, for example, if you have wood shavings on your blades.
Not in the dishwasher
You may know yourself again; finishing cooking, will wash the dishes quickly and bring the kitchen knives straight into the dishwasher. You should not do that! Because the blades are damaged.
– If you have a knife tray in the dishwasher, the kitchen knives should be washed by hand. If you put the blades together with other things, the movements in the machine will cause the blades to get lost in other things, causing the egg to be damaged, explains the general manager of Brothers Øyo, Knut Olav Øyo, to click. no.
– I would advise to wash the kitchen knife by hand in lukewarm water with a brush or sponge, even if you have a knife tray in the dishwasher, adds food advisor at Culinary Academy, Thomas Pettersen, to clicks. no.
He says that in addition to the blade being able to come into contact with other metals in the dishwasher, it can also be affected by the soap used.
– Of course, it depends on the soap, but some can have a slightly corrosive effect on the steel.
In addition to the vibrators in a dishwasher that can damage the egg, the steam in the machine may also damage the handle if it is in wood or a mixture.
Refurbished with 60 year old countertop
– On the wood shafts, the steam will extract the fat, and eventually the shafts will turn gray and ugly, deepens the Øyo.
Incorrect use and storage of kitchen knives
The purpose of a kitchen knife is that it should be used to cut foods. But many perceive it as a tool that can be used for the most part.
– There is a lot of wrong use of kitchen knives. They are used to open canned crates, such as screwdrivers or thin-egg blades, almost like meat kisses, describing Øyo, which explains that some of the stupidest thing is to use the knife to scrape the cutting edge with or push away what you’ve cut.
Therefore, turn the knife to scrape the cutting edge or destroy the oak.
Øyo explains that health can also be loosened if you have a blunt knife.
It is more dangerous to use a blunt knife than sharp because slipping knives require more power, which means there is greater risk that the knife slips and you cut.
The most classic mistake people make with their knives is to let them slip around the drawers the same with other metal tools, says Pettersen.
His advice is to put the knife in a knife block or hang it on a knife list.
– Or take care of the original packaging and leave it in place when not in use.
Sharpen the blades on a regular basis
So what do you do with their kitchen knives, except to use them properly, to give them the longest life?
To take advantage of the space in the kitchen
Regular sharpening is the key.
– A private person should have a grinder handle or a fence available at home, Øyo says.
– With this you should sharpen up the hedge on a regular basis.
Thomas Pettersen is advised to sharpen the kitchen knives once a week with a grinding wheel.
– But eventually, the grind will not do the job properly, and then you should carry a knife or send the knife to a professional knife grinder.
Knife steel only for sharpening
Øyo emphasizes that it is important to be aware that sharpening steel should not be used for anything else,
Because this only sharpens the knife but does not sharpen it, he expands and explains that when you sharpen, you remove pieces of steel, but when you sharpen, the edge is smoothed.
– You can not set up an egg with sharpening steel, just maintain.
Øyo continues to acquire a diamond wrap (if necessary) with so-called monocrystalline diamonds, because such a bridge has the longest life. These also remove steel pieces from the edge to make it sharper.
If you should try the sanding machine in the basement, it is crucial to add water during the grinding process.
– In the opposite case, there will be heat in the blade and the egg is damaged, explains Øyo.
– The same is also happening to electric blade grinders, as they can also develop too much heat. However, the knife has first become blunt so send it to a knife grinder.
To wipe your kitchen knives
The Cullinary Arts website provides a clear review of how to pinch its knife with a brow.
One should first brush the coarse side up on the kitchen counter or the cutlery, preferably with a damp towel underneath so that the brow is as stable as possible.
Got twice the size of the kitchen
Next, hold the knife shaft with one hand and support the blade with the other. The angle between the blade and the brow should, according to the site, be 22 1/2 degrees.
The knife is pushed back and forth in a constant motion. Ten times, and in such a way that the entire blade comes into contact with the brow. Then turn the knife and do the same on the other side.
Then turn the brow with the nice side up and repeat the same exercise on the pages of the magazine.
“Finish using a sharpening steel to add the final finish of the blade, and finally rinse and wipe the sheet to remove any metal grain, write the site.
Difference on knives.
Øyo explains that there is a difference between knives, first and foremost, it is about the hardness of the steel. This is measured on a so-called Rockwell scale.
– Basically, the steel should be hard enough for the hedge to stand for a long time, but at the same time it must be soft enough for the hedge to be easily set up, Øyo explains.
– Japanese knives have higher hardness, but it also means they are getting much more difficult to put up when they are drowsy or damaged.
Here are the most common kitchen baskets
Øyo explains that European knives consistently have a Rockwell scale between 55 and 60 while Japanese knives have around 65.
– If you only use the knife for soft foods such as the culture of use in Japan, it will be much more done before the egg is damaged. They also have a culture to grind and sharpen the blade regularly. In Norway, there is more culture to do after the blade has become blunt.
Use the knife for more things
According to Øyo, it’s no problem to use a kitchen knife for more things.
– You can have one knife you use for the most part. Arne Brimi usually says that the most important thing is to find a knife you like. What you need is a proper cookie that you like to use.
According to Øyo, a bread knife can be used for other things to cut bread.
But it’s crucial that you use it on soft things, otherwise the egg will be spoiled quickly. And used sensibly, a bread knife can last for many years without having to do anything about it.
– I mean a basic kit in the kitchen should contain three four things; a good kitchen knife, a rotary knife that can be used for peeling and other small jobs, a soiled knife and a grinding wheel, adds Pettersen.
– A soothing knife can be used for several things, from bread cutting to cutting into frozen goods. And if you are particularly keen you can complement a fillet knife and a knife knife.
Wash the house with vinegar
To clean the glass in the oven
Have you heard about the meltdown?
Looking for good interior ideas? You can find them in the Inspiration Guide
The pot was never clean