But a pile below the house was given a plot of light.
This cabin disappears at night
There are plenty of examples of unique architecture. Sometimes they have only ripped off and let the architects have free rein. Other times, the special architecture is a practical necessity, such as when the plot or the surrounding environment requires a building out of the ordinary.
For the owners of this unique house in Melbourne in Australia, the reason for rebuilding was a combination; both practical solutions to a challenging site, and architects who were not afraid to think outside the box.
A home to grow in
According to the American design and architecture site Homedesign, the special house belongs to a family of five who wanted to create a home they could live for a long time. The owners of the house wanted a practical home, which should be functional and smart for the children, and that should grow and develop as family.
The local architect firm Andrew Maynard Architects was given the task of drawing a new and modern extension to the compact house, located in a popular suburb of the Australian metropolis.
Such was the starting point
The biggest problem we were dealing with was the dark plot, and especially the back garden, explains architect Mark Austin at Andrew Maynard Architects to Bonytt. no.
– The land faces the north, which meant that the entire backyard lay completely in the shade.
The architect explains that in the 1990s an annex had been added to the original house, which further reduced the amount of sunlight that hit the plot.
The starting point we had to work with was a house that turned out to be rather dark and rather inconvenient, Austin shouts.
The Contemporist site explains the architects:
“Drawing a home for someone is definitely one of the most challenging ones.
When the drawer is dragged, the apartment changes completely
And with the Hill House project, the challenges were in line for the young architects.
It was very important for us early in the project to find out where the sun stood in the sky at different times of the day, explains architect Mark Austin.
– We would try to capture the most possible daylight into the home during the winter months and create a way to effectively shield the house from the hot sun in summer.
They did this
The architects solved the challenge by creating a brand new building at the back of the site.
– This area previously served as the backyard of the building, explains architect Mark Austin.
– And now the garden spot was taken to house.
Austin explains that the solution of turning the entire house and the plot around was determined because they did not want to make the same mistake that had been made with the first extension to the house.
– The new building is facing the sun, and the “box” on the top acts like a sun trap that catches natural light and saves it into the home.
In summer you can choose to shield the big window on the first floor for direct sunlight, while in winter you can let the daylight flood in, both for extra heat and not least natural light.
Built an artificial pile
According to the architects, it was the decision to “turn” the whole house against the sun that really kicked off the rest of the project and dictated the somewhat special appearance of the house.
– We felt that we had to take advantage of the facade and the front of the house, which suddenly lay the bathroom in sunlight, explains Austin.
– At first we thought about building steps into the landscape on the front of the house, raising it from ground level. But quickly walked away from the stairs, and agreed to construct a kind of pile to put the house on.
Moved the garden forward
The new building is facing the original house of the plot and on the former backyard garden. Now, however, the architects have moved the garden forward on the plot, drawing a large open area between the house’s various extensions and houses.
The whole house is made of concrete
Separates between public and private zones
– The original extension on the site, which was set up once in the 1990s, is primarily used as sleeping space, explains architect Mark Austin.
– With this solution we made the house’s bedrooms and dorms remain private, something the family had a strong desire for.
The kitchen was another important room for the architects to get to such homeowners.
– This room is now transformed into the house’s welcome center, and is the room you first enter when you enter the residence.
– The kitchen has now become the natural heart of the house, this is where all activity is centered on, explains architect Austin.
Shed shed became family dream home
Created to the children of the old house
The original building on the site has been converted into “children’s house”. Here the family’s little few can unfold freely.
The owners had a desire for a dwelling that could evolve as the children grow bigger and their own zone was an important step, explains the architect.
Austin states that in this part of the house, no structural changes or any major changes have been made to either design or layout.
– We wanted it to appear as honest and robust in appearance.
Placed house on stilts
Architect Andrew Maynard thinks it’s an exciting challenge to create home that harmonizes with the surrounding landscape.
– Melbourne is largely flat, so the buildings are allowed to define the landscape.
Something that was undoubtedly the case for Hill House. “This is enough to make the architecture of Melbourne so exciting,” explains the architect of the Homedesign website.
Find nice inspiration for the dream home
Here you have the dream house
You have never seen this interior
Urgency strengthened the children’s imminent defense