“We wanted a house with good rooms, few square meters and low maintenance.
Architecture deals with some aspects of taking a stand. In some contexts, the architect elects to let the dwelling differ from the surroundings, in other contexts, the arrangement is chosen, especially if the house is located in nature.
This residence on Hvasser chose the last. If you drive by, you can not expect to see the house. It makes so little of it, where it is low in the terrain, dressed with grayed-down panel.
Space in the center
The house consists of four building bodies; main house, annexe, greenhouse and carport with wood shed. And in the middle – a rectangular courtyard, the atrium itself.
Large windows face this inner space. This gives the owners views to their own house. And against the sky above the house are small pine cones, far up there.
One way goes to the back of the house, but it is not marked.
– We feel that we live in the woods, the owner tells Britt Bonna Ringerike to click. no.
Good room and low maintenance
The house is “twisted”
Bonna Ringerike wanted a more suitable house to live for himself and his two youngest sons, Ludvik and Hans.
At the same time, the elders son Kasper Bonna Lundgaard wanted to supplement the architectural education at NTNU with a specific project.
– They needed a house that had good rooms, but fewer square meters and that required little maintenance, he said to clicks. no.
The dwelling should be a place to grow old in and a place to grow up in.
– Hans has Down’s syndrome, and it was particularly important that the house provided for a stimulating and safe upbringing, “explains Bonna Lundgaard..
A multi-layered house
All these moments pointed towards an introverted house, a home where you could retreat and shield yourself from the surroundings.
- The house is designated by the architect as an ecological active house. So to speak all the building materials are renewable and environmentally friendly. Construction and cladding are made of Norwegian wood, and the insulation consists of wood fiber.
- The house is naturally ventilated and fired.
- Gross area (BRA): 124.5 sqm. Living area (BYA): 244.4 sqm.
- Energy Consumption: Under 7000 kWh per. year.
- The Architectural Office of Pacific Development draws up ecological housing projects and ecological villages. They have created a residential area where the housing units are based on Britt’s house.
- The housing type is also delivered as a single house from Aktivhus Gruppen, active house. no.
– I think many people need a sheltered place where impressions can be processed, Kasper Bonna Lundgaard explains and elaborates:
– I think we can learn from the ancient Romans, who could move away from the street and into the atrium. In this home you can retreat in several layers,.
The outer layer is the natural space surrounding the house.
The plot is fence, so Hans has a simple limit to relate to when he plays in the woods.
The next layer is atrium, a very private, but at the same time public space in the home. Many roads lead in here, just like a square in a city. The building bodies do not hang together, but are separated by narrow alleyways.
Inside there is the room in the main house. Here we find a living room, kitchen and entrance hall.
This room extends throughout the length of the house. No matter where you are located, you have contact with the outside room outside.
Like a snail house
In the innermost layer we find the more private rooms of the house; bedrooms, and children’s rooms.
And, most of all, up a ladder, we find Hans’ private loft.
If the accommodation had been a snail house, this would have been as far as you could come. This zone is fully shielded, but also airy, thanks to the skylights that release daylight from above.
Also the room is ample daylight. Dense glass surfaces face the atrium, and the door is generally open as long as the temperature allows.
– In practice, the atrium acts as an extra room, a non-climateized living space, explains Britt Bonna Ringerike.
Extension of house room
Kasper Bonna Lundgaard explains how the greenhouses and atrium in spring, summer and autumn will be an extension of the rooms in the house.
– The greenhouse shines against the wind, but leaves light, he adds. This gives you some visual contact with the outside of the atrium.
Check these cool mini-houses
Built house of garbage
Looking for good interior ideas? You can find them in the Inspiration Guide