Light from the sun, water from the sea. He takes the laundry to the sauna.
Finnish architecture never stops surprise and inspire. The examples are many: The classic Villa Maiera, the world’s only world-renowned residence, the spectacular summer cottage that might be the roughest you’ve seen and two saunas that can take your breath away.
Compromeless cross-shaped error
This totally refurbished four-cornered villa designed by Avanto Architects and architect Ville Hara, is also unique. The 78 square meter house is located on a horseshoe-shaped island.
The way the house is built like a cross is the great visual attentiveness of the project, not least because this means that you have views of different landscape formations from within. including dense forest, sea and coastal zones.
The main facade faces north and east.
Open floor plan with closed spaces
Inside, the sensational plan solution means the house is both open and closed at the same time.
Staying in the middle of the home gives you access to several exciting sight lines, and pulling into one of the four wings are you instantly inside a much more privatized world.
Functional design is a Finnish specialty
Norwegian villa is celebrated internationally
– There is some excellent Finnish about this project. This villa is very simple and clean-cut in shape, and almost primitive with regard to comfort.
– There is neither water nor light in the common sense, comments Jan Förster, director of Finnish-Norwegian cultural institute in Oslo to Bonytt.com
– As I understand, there were also a lot of places here in Norway a decade ago, “says Förster.
Simplifies construction process
– In addition, such a simplified form of architecture opens access to alternative sites outside the press areas. And with easier water and heating requirements, you can also release some building bureaucracy, says Förster.
Dream hut that takes your breath away
Outdoors, the Four-cornered villa is painted black as coal. This is done to create a clear contrast to the interior that is almost completely white.
This night-black color on the standing outer panel makes the whole house disappear from the forest background, and it’s almost unobtrusive from the sea close by.
The advanced, untraditional color scheme for architect Ville Hara was honored by his own prize at Finnexpo in Helsinki recently.
Flat roof opens for modernism and creativity
The roof of the home is flat, a roof solution that came to us, among other things, with functionalism, and as many architects believe gives greater design freedom than the traditional salt form.
– The four-cornered villa is very well insulated and the house is heated with wood, resulting in a so-called Kabon-neutral heating, says architect Ville Hara, who lives in the house.
– Some of the best built in Oslo
Light from the sun and sauna as a bathroom
The house has not entered running water and the electricity comes from solar panels. The property also has a 24-square-meter sauna.
– In Finland, it is still common for many to do laundry dishes in the sauna. Here in the four-cornered villa we take the water from the lake Vaskivesi close to the residence, says the resident and architect Hara.
The area around the house is suitable for growing vegetables and there is a lot of fish in the water that surrounds the island the house is on.
– The simple, ascetic life in the countryside is dramatically different from the hectic city life. Out there, it is possible to live with a minimum of influence on nature, “concludes architect Ville Hara.
Read all about architecture
Now they are coming to the cool minivans
Ferdighus designed by famous architects