Check the Japanese solution.
This beautiful house was really a barn
Norway’s most exciting mountain hotel?
This house is voted England’s coolest
When the little family of three were to build their homes, they wanted to live near their parents, and therefore chose the neighborhood.
This plot was not large enough for a regular square house, and the Japanese architect had to think outside the box.
– Since there was no room for a square house, I chose to build a pentagonal house with a traditional thatched roof, to harmonize with the urban expression in the neighborhood, tells architect Kazuya Morita, from Kazuya Morita Architecture Studio to click. no.
Inspired by Traditional Japanese Techniques
The house, located in Tsushima City, a small village in Japan, is built according to traditional Japanese techniques. Japanese houses were often built on untraditional plots and areas, and by utilizing the vacant area at maximum.
– Although the house has a pentagonal floor plan, it was constructed with traditional methods in wood and finished with white plaster on the walls to create round corners, Morita explains..
Straw was used to the roof. Materials like wood, plaster and straw were chosen since it is the materials used in traditional Japanese houses.
Traditional meets modern
The young couple wanted a modern home, but with comfortable and recognizable items that could remind them of their Japanese background and roots. But they did not want the traditional expression to be in the way of neither the size nor the aesthetic.
– To create a comfortable living environment in the house, we set up five curved walls that separate the interior, under the dome-shaped ceiling, Morita says.
In the center of the house, all the rooms come together, and here is the social living space. There will be some kind of soft separation between the rooms, he explains. You can not see the other people, but you can feel them the way you can with traditional Japanese paperwalls.
– The large windows ensure that natural light comes in from all sides of the house.
Morita has called its concept of “international minority”.
With that he believes that steel and concrete are denoted as the majority of modern architecture, in the sense that it is most used. He is even interested in the materials that are used less, such as wood, plaster, stone and straw.
– Although these materials can be termed local products, they are found worldwide. We can therefore characterize them as international, “he concludes.
– Therefore, I have called the concept of “international minority”.
The lucky combination between old and new has created an exciting interior and an exterior that harmonizes with the surroundings.
Large collection of interior images
Here is the bedroom
Dream House for the Kids
Here is the best summer cover